Friday, September 21, 2012

September is Ovarian/Prostate/Leukemia/Lymphoma & Childhood Cancer Awareness Month


In support of September's Cancer Awareness month, and gearing up for the Breast Cancer Walk (NYC) in late October I came across a post from a friend of mine and it made me feel like this year I want to do more in the fight against Cancer as it continues to affect people near and dear to me...

The other day I had a friend post this via FB (name omitted for privacy reasons): 


 i would like to make it quite clear as to why i am cutting my hair. i have a friend going through chemo. when i thought chemo, i thought... bed-ridden, person coughing up a lung with a bandana on and not the guy who is kicking my butt in sticks! i asked why he cut off all of his facial hair... he then reminded me of the chemo and stated that everyone should have to experience the eventual loss of all of their hair! i don't like to wait on experiences so i jumped at the chance to make a point by choosing to cut my hair. it's to honor my longtime friend as well as show the odd meaning we place on hair!



I couldn't agree more with the point my friend made....I think often in the Natural hair world when we have an opportunity to go natural or have a Big chop done often times we are fortunate to make a C.H.O.I.C.E where other's are not able to be as fortunate.  


I know that when I went and Big Chopped my hair I had a lot of mixed feelings about how other's would accept me or think about me. How my appearance affected my confidence in my physical looks. So I think  it's important to definitely acknowledge the extraordinary men, women, and children who survive this terribly life altering disease. It takes courage in our society to confidently fight cancer and to confidently lose/cut off all your hair and still walk with your head held high!  So next time you feel a bit self-conscious about your newly cropped hair think about those who do it not by choice but as a symbol of their courage to continue to fight for a chance to continue to live life to the fullest!






September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month.  In the U.S., over 12,000 children under the age of 21 are diagnosed with cancer every year, approximately 3,000 of them will not survive the disease. A diagnosis can turn the lives of a family upside down – days suddenly filled with alternating moments of courage, frustration, boredom, anxiety and pain. The objective of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month is to put a spotlight on the types of cancer that largely affect children, survivorship issues, and – importantly – to help raise funds for research groups working towards cures*.

If you want to make a difference or learn more about Childhood/Ovarian /Leukemia/Prostate cancer  you can click here Choose Hope




If you would like to send love and encouragement to cancer Survivor Taylor Love you can visit her Facebook page here:

Taylor Love 



                                                       















In women age 35-74, ovarian cancer is the fifth leading cause of cancer-related deaths. An estimated one woman in 71 will develop ovarian cancer during her lifetime. The American Cancer Society estimates that there will be over 22,000 new cases of ovarian cancer diagnosed this year and that more than 15,000 women will die from ovarian cancer this year*.

If you too would like to get involved, be sure to check out the Susan Komen Foundation (Susan G Komen Foundation) where you can donate; The Walk for Breast Cancer  is next month you still have time to pledge or even grab a few ladies to partipate in the walk registration can also be found on the site...

"We are only as strong as our brothen, continue to be each other's keeper" -Unknown

Be sure Ladies and Gentlemen to receive regularly scheduled doctor check-ups and be sure to do self breast exams (men & women). Cancer is now one of the top leading causes of death, it is important that we do all that we can to prevent, detect, and treat cancer as early as possible. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

 HairsACure promotes healthy hair growth and hair health for women who are survivors and those battling  cancer or are cancer survivors. The event is scheduled to be held in CHICAGO however it is an event that is happening in OCT 20, 2012. But since it is in Chicago  you may have to plan to make a trip to CHICAGO. Those who live in the Chicago area  in going please review the attached flyer, be sure if you attend to take lots of pictures! The event will talk about and promote natural/healthy hair and will have giveaways and prizes as well.

Even if you cannot attend I plan on making a donation as a percentage of the proceeds go to creating the HAIR'S A CURE FOUNDATION







*All information provided regarding the background and statistics of Cancer comes from the following source and can be accessed here Ovarian Cancer & here Kids Health

No comments:

Post a Comment